Friday, June 24, 2011

The prospect of 'pre-leave'

It has been about 4 months since we had a break, as in a holiday/time off on an official basis. I think we are starting to feel it as a family...each of us in our own right.

I have been talking to some of my friends regarding how long, in a healthy situation, a person should go without some leave and there seems to be no landed consensus. It would seem to me that 4 months is long enough...perhaps just right...but this is highly subjective and perhaps unique to the way we function as both a family and church family. I don't know.

Then there is the whole matter of how long to take off in succession. Should you use up all your leave in one go? Or should you spread it out a little? People say the ‘3 week thing’ usually, but what if you only have 3 weeks...then I guess option A above will come to the fore.

I have an idea that I would like to implement the next time I take off.

Due to the way I'm wired, I can’t ‘let go’ unless things are in order, and so I would need to take some ‘pre-leave’ ministry time first. Meaning a week leading up to my leave (and that for 10 days) take time off preaching and so prep as well, and focus on other also essential ministerial planning and 'tidying up' as it were.

For instance: Who will we ask to be our Family Camp speaker in 2012? What about our Year for Life 2012 program? We are in the process of putting together a web page, but I need to write a brief synopsis on each of the ministries as well as other matters pertaining to this. etc. etc. Besides curve ball counselling needs that usually fill this time in providence!

This means that by the end of this week of ‘weaning off’ ministry, but still working, and that including someone else to preach on the weekend following, of course, I will be able to ready myself for a proper break. True time off!

If I was to do this then I would return to a ready and waiting 'desk' that is up to date and craving my return.

Sounds good in theory...lets ‘surf this wave’!

I would value anyone’s response to this - especially with regard to the practical matters about how long before a break is healthy and other time factors...but not to limit anyone!

God bless.

No comments: