Thursday, June 23, 2011

Setting the scene

For want of a broad title I selected 'musings' and in this first of several such contemplative posts I would like to kick off, as it were, with something of a road map - setting the scene as to where I am going with this blog and so why I am starting one in the first place.

It has been a long nursed desire of mine to have a forum where I could record my thoughts and where they could serve, at the same time, by God's grace alone, to edify others as well.

In this blog I will include a 'KBC Compass' wherein I will, from an expositional perspective, noting well the prophetic/providential dynamic to ministry, seek to discern what God is 'saying' to our particular church family, at this particular time, in our particular pilgrimage heavenward. That is to say that I will take the Lord's Day messages - the 'heartbeat of the day' - and highlight these so as to make myself accountable, as a pastor, as well as us as a local church family.

Just in case the word 'prophetic' (above) is causing any 'heartache and pain', as it could, and perhaps should so in view of the rampant modern abuses with respect to this whole matter, allow just a brief explanation. What I am seeking to emphasize is not some new or direct revelation, not at all! All I wish to emphasize is the fact that we serve the living God and that He is in complete control of His churches. He walks among us and speaks to us 'today' in the faithful exposition of His once for all given - and that perfectly so - Word. Simply what I am getting at is that God is speaking to us each week as a particular local expression of His universal Body. Each Lord's Day there is something special from God for us personally. It is perhaps best illustrated in that even the best of sermons on a CD or even DVD cannot replace the holy, prophetic, providential, unique, special, romantic, intimacy that occurs when the bride and her Groom converse in sacred samplings of eternal ecstasy. There is a living aspect to our worship. I, again, have no concern for a 'goose-bump' pseudo theology. What it is that I am seeking to magnify is that God speaks in time and space through His Word soberly and prayerfully proclaimed - using all the rules of sound hermeneutics and an orthodox, propositional, approach to the Bible.

Well that will be the 'KBC Compass'.

I would also like to include in this blog a recurring, albeit somewhat sporadic, entry entitled 'Theology Matters' - obviously a play on the word 'matters'. Theology both matters to all true saints, and, with that, all true saints face matters of a theological nature every day.

In this part of the blog I will have no qualms about pitching it as it is (or better as I see it). If I believe something strongly I will lay it down without even a hint of questioning or apology. On the other hand, if I am wrestling with an issue, I will say so. Further, if I am questioning an issue, even one well accepted by councils and creeds, I will explore this openly without fear of being seen as a heretic for so doing. Sounds a little ‘emergent’, as some would put it, although I find that 'movement,' for the most part, nauseating at best, Satanic at worst!

So that will come too…'KBC Compass' and 'Theology Matters'.

Another avenue I would like to attempt an excursion through is one that reaches a little deeper into an ethical, and so 'counselling', corner.

What to call it??? I don't like the word ‘counselling‘ too much - it seems so plastic and event like to me. Perhaps (I'm musing) 'Fleshing it out'…as in ‘fleshing out’ the Scriptures within the context of 21st century life in South Africa.

This will include questions regarding how to deal with particular, specific problems people face. Divorce and re-marriage etc...But not the theology merely - this must form the basis - but the application thereof into concrete 'real life' situations. These will be sufficiently guarded and somewhat modified so as to protect people from having their problems aired.

'KBC Compass', 'Theology Matters', and 'Fleshing it out'…one more angle, for now, will suffice...'Family First'!

The name says it all. However, when I say ‘first’ I really mean first with respect to all human relationships and dealings. This further must never be seen as in isolation or autonomy from the local church family - heaven forbid! But that as Christians we are to see ourselves as missionaries sent from heaven and our first mission field is our own souls, then, in turn, our wives (as men), next, our kids and so it unfolds through the brethren to the lost.

This is not to say that we are at liberty to neglect any of the above at all. Only that in the order of God's own standards as set out in the Holy Canon, 'Family First,' commands a voice.

Herein I will openly deal with child rearing issues, schooling issues, birth control matters, and sex (without being rude or a prude...which is worse? I think they are equally wicked!), finances - and so debt etc., and conflict resolution, to name what rises to the surface of my mind as I freely ‘muse’ along.

It is probably best to read whatever posts with regard to the fact that this is a blog aimed at adults and so not allowing your children too much liberty as I have not written primarily for them.

Well then, God bless all who may read any of these posts - and do feel free to grapple with me without fear of offense!

1 comment:

Barry Brady said...

Hey Glen, keen to see what you have on your heart and mind. Will keep on looking..Barry!